Here’s a random, non-bookish post, but I couldn’t resist taking part in today’s Hype or Like Friday discussion prompt which is: Favorite Musicians / Songs / Musicals. I’m a huge fan of musicals, so I went with that route for today’s post, and will focus on movie musicals.
And this post is somewhat thematic to books, as the Book of the Month for Hype or Like Friday is This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab.
I’m looking forward to this read and hope I can get it read by the end of the month!
So without further ado, in no particular order, here are my favorite movie musicals:
- Newsies (1992) – What can I say, I grew up in the 90s, and I will forever love Christian Bale because of this movie. Favorite Song: The World Will Know
- Moulin Rouge! (2001) – Baz Luhrmann, Nicole Kidman, and a musical?? Yes, please! This is a magical movie that has everything I love about musicals in it: tragic story, fun songs and sad songs, and also big dance numbers. Favorite Song: Elephant Love Medley
- Calamity Jane (1953) – This musical is just so much fun! Go back to the Wild West with Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickok and prepare to laugh and sing the day away. Favorite Song: I Can Do Without You
- The Little Mermaid (1989) – Love this one so much. A lot of this is nostalgia for when the movie first came out and how much I loved it as a kid. These songs stay in my head the longest! Favorite Song: Under the Sea / Poor Unfortunate Souls (I can’t decide!)
- The Sound of Music (1965) – What a transporting, moving experience. I love this movie and can watch it over and over again, when I’m not spinning in circles up high on a hill. Favorite Song: The Lonely Goatherd
- Chicago (2002) – The musical with the least likable characters, but it is great fun. I probably listen to this soundtrack the most of all musicals. Favorite Song: All That Jazz
- Frozen (2013) – I know, I know. It’s so popular, and so many people are tired of it, but I love it. The music, the story, Olaf, I just love it. Favorite Song: Let It Go
- The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) – This is a must watch every year at Christmastime for me. I practically have the movie memorized and randomly quote it. Favorite Song: Marley and Marley
- Summer Magic (1963) – This is a little known Haley Mills movie, but it’s a good movie that just barely hints at romance, and it’s a lot of fun. Favorite Song: Flitterin’
- West Side Story (1961) – Oh, Tony and Maria, you break my heart. Not to mention Bernardo. Favorite Song: Tonight Quintet (the one towards the end where they are all singing differently).
And of course, there’s always Beauty and the Beast (1991). I have extremely high hopes for the newest adaptation, and can’t wait to see it! My favorite song from the 1991 movie is Gaston.
There are just some of my favorites, I’ve left a lot off this list! Musicals like Singin’ In the Rain, My Fair Lady, Oklahoma!, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Brigadoon, White Christmas, South Pacific, Carousel, The Music Man, Oliver!, and Annie.
What are your favorite musicals? Will you be seeing Beauty and the Beast in the theaters?
And now that I’ve got all these songs stuck in your head, which musical will you be watching first? I’ve got a hankering to re-watch Newsies.