Well, after the disaster that my 2016 Reading Goals were, I wasn’t sure that I’d want to state any goals for 2017. But here I am, making another list, and hoping I stick to it!
Here are my Reading Goals for the year 2017:
- Read 100 books. I’m going to do it this year. I can feel it! Oh wait… there is the issue of taking two classes this semester and also working forty hours a week and blogging and well, life. But, I can do it! I can! And I… will. I will! I am determined!
- Finish War and Peace. I am not doing well with this book! I’m about a quarter of the way through, and while it’s good, I’m not really connecting with the characters or feeling any sense of urgency to read this. But I want to get this read and done so I can move on to another classic. Maybe Tess of the D’Urbervilles or Bleak House…
- Stay caught up with my ARCs. I really want to stay on top of my ARCs and not request so many from NetGalley. I’d like to be able to utilize NetGalley’s “read now” feature and when I’ve got a big stack of ARCs to read, I’m unlikely try that. I really made an effort in December to weed these down, and I’m pretty happy with my progress and want to keep it up.
- Finish many of the series that I’ve started. And by many of the series, I currently have 34 (!!!) series that I’m in the middle of that I need to finish. And those are just mysteries that I read. That doesn’t include any YA series, or historical fiction, fantasy, etc.
- Re–read some favorite books. I would love to be able to re-read some of my favorite books this year. Books like the works of Jane Austen, Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, and also some historical fiction books. There is something so comforting about reading an old favorite.
- Read books from my TBR stack at home. I have a huge collection of unread books at home, with the majority of books being either borrowed from friends and family, or bought from garage sales and library sales. My goal is to purchase fewer books this year and to work on minimizing my TBR stack at home.
- Read classic children’s books I’ve never read. Books like The Secret Garden, A Wrinkle in Time, The Giver, A Little Princess, The Wind in the Willows, Alice in Wonderland, and The Wizard of Oz. So many of these books are mentioned all over the place, and I’d love to be able to participate in conversations about these classics!
- Re-read The Odyssey and also Beowulf. After reading and enjoying The Iliad this past year, I want to attempt The Odyssey again. I read it and hated it in high school, but as I’m older now, I hope that I will be able to appreciate it. Same thing with Beowulf. I need to give these books another chance!
- Expand my reading genres. I’m pretty eclectic with my reads, but I would like to branch out more and try different books. I read my first New Adult book this December, Corrupt Me by Jillian Quinn of Rant and Rave About Books fame, and enjoyed reading something different. I’d like to continue branching out and trying some new genres including horror (I’m like the biggest scaredy-cat around so this might not end well!) and, like last year, more science fiction. Ursula K. Le Guin’s The Left Hand of Darkness is calling my name! I’d also like to try some poetry and short story collections.
- Try listening to an audiobook. I’d really like to try an audiobook this year. Something that I can easily listen to while cleaning or baking, while driving or doing homework, or ahem, let’s get real here, shopping for LuLaRoe (seriously my new addiction!). Any audiobook suggestions?
And that’s it! There are my Reading Goals for 2017! Do you have any Reading Goals for 2017?
Happy New Year and here’s to 2017 being a positive and happy year!