Today’s Hype or Like Friday prompt is Favorite Reads of 2016. Last week I highlighted my favorite classic reads of 2016, and this week I’m focusing more on current releases. Not all of these books were published in 2016, but I read them this year. In reverse order, here are my picks for my Top Ten Favorite Current Reads of 2016.
Click on the title to read my review!
10. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah – Stunning historic fiction set in France during WWII that tells the story of two sisters. Powerful with interesting characters, the story has stayed with me since I read it in January, so it earns a spot on my list!
9. The Ornatrix by Kate Howard – Dark and gritty historical fiction at its finest that tells the tale of a woman born with a birthmark on her face, and the mysterious woman who takes her under her wing. Fascinating information about beauty treatments! And I’m totally thrilled that an ARC read made it to my Top Ten this year.
8. The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas – The first book, Throne of Glass, is definitely the weakest of the series, but you can’t deny the story and characters that work their way into your heart. From the fae, to the witches, to the shape shifters, this series is full of magic, plot turns, and romance. I’ve linked to the first book already, and here is the link for my review of Empire of Storms. Links to my other reviews of the books in the series are within that review.
7. Six of Crows / Crooked Kingdom duology by Leigh Bardugo – This duology was definitely the most fun I had reading this year! These are heist books set in a fantasy world, and the characters are larger than life, and a ton of fun. I really enjoyed both of these books!
6. Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys – Another WWII historical fiction novel makes my list! This one focuses on the little known tragedy of the refugee ship Wilhelm Gustloff, and everyone should read this book.
5. Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb – The first of the Robin Hobb books that focus on Fitz, a young man who learns the art of being an assassin and also magic. This is a great start to a classic fantasy series! I really want to start book two soon – I just haven’t gotten to it yet because I’m making myself finish all of my ARC’s before diving in to book two.
4. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes – A beautiful romance that will break your heart. I read this one twice this year I loved it so much!
3. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty – My favorite Liane Moriarty book, this is one smart contemporary drama that packs a powerful punch and has a strong message.
2. A Man Called Ove and also Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman – These two books are everything I love about reading. With strong, memorable characters and lovely writing, these two books are beautiful and touching. Read with Kleenex nearby!
And now for my favorite read of the year!
1. Shark Dialogues by Kiana Davenport – This literary historical fiction novel is pure art. Telling the history of Hawaii throughout one family’s story, this book is full of heartbreak and history, love and loss, and strong women. This was the first book I read in 2016, and stayed at the top of the list all year long! This book is not for the faint of heart, as it is extremely graphic, but it is an important story and worth the read.
There is my list! My Favorite Current Reads of 2016! Agree? Disagree? Have you read any of these books? My list seems to be made up of fantasy, historical fiction, and contemporary reads this year.
What was your favorite read of 2016?