Today’s discussion topic is Top Over-Hyped Books. I’m going to do the Over-Hyped Books that I read this year, in 2016. These books aren’t necessarily bad; they just didn’t live up to the hype!
And my selections are:
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, and John Tiffany: All hype. This one did not live up to the hype I’m afraid. I just didn’t get this one, and I couldn’t suspend my disbelief enough to ignore the gaping plot holes and enjoy it. I’ll stick with the original seven books, thank you very much! Read my review here.
- Victoria by Daisy Goodwin: Sadly this one I hyped up in my mind because I enjoy the author, but I just could not connect to the young queen. Here’s hoping that the PBS series is better! Read my review here.
- Carry On by Rainbow Rowell: Maybe I just wasn’t into wizards this year or something… Here’s another one that didn’t live up to the massive hype that surrounds it! Read my review here.
- Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty: Oh dear, don’t get me wrong, this was an entertaining book, but Big Little Lies blew me away, and this one most definitely did not. But I do love Liane Moriarty and will read anything she writes! Check out my review here.
- The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater: I just didn’t get this one at all! I finished this book and was so confused why everyone raves about this book and the series. I thought perhaps I read the wrong book, as it seems everyone raves about the characters and I thought they were all fairly bland. Read my review here.
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff: Completely predictable. The format was interesting, to a point, but when I have to turn the book around in circles trying to figure out how to read a page, I get annoyed. The format could’ve been toned down a bit and I would’ve been much happier! I’m not racing out to read the sequel, Gemina. Here’s my review! (It’s a short one!)
And my Top Over-Hyped Book that I read in 2016 also happens to be my least favorite book that I read this year. Drum roll please!
And it is…
The Winner’s Trilogy, specifically the third book in the trilogy, The Winner’s Kiss. I should’ve stopped after book two, but I continued on… save your time and skip this trilogy!
Click on the title to go to my review!
What were your Top Over-Hyped Books that you read this year? Do you agree with my selections? Disagree?
And our book for December is A Thousand Pieces of You. Hopefully it lives up to the Hype! We shall see…