Today’s Hype or Like Friday theme is: Hyped Books That Make You Smile.
I’m going to change this up a bit, and today I’ll focus entirely on one of the best series ever, Harry Potter, a series that definitely makes me smile! And it is one of those rare series that is so hyped, but is worth all of it. So, here are my Top Ten Harry Potter Scenes That Make Me Smile. Every time I read the books.
These scenes are in no particular order, and warning! SPOILERS beware!
- Harry’s first Hogwarts letter. A wonderful scene from the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, and perfectly adapted in the movie. There is something so magical and special about Harry’s welcome letter to Hogwarts and the lengths that the Dursley’s will go to keep Harry from reading the letter. I especially like Vernon Dursley’s look of glee as he screws the mail slot shut in the movie. This scene immediately sets the stage for a fun, smart series that everyone should read.
- De-gnoming the garden at The Burrow from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I just really enjoy this scene. There’s something so magical and funny about this scene, where Ron and Harry are de-gnoming the Weasley’s garden. They pull the gnomes up by their hair and throw them as far as they can. It actually sounds quite terrible for the gnomes, but the way Rowling writes is such fun, and really captures the ridiculousness of what they are doing.
- Umbridge marching towards the forest in book five, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. This is towards the end of the book, when Hermione has tricked Umbridge into heading into the forest. She marches angrily towards the centaurs, and proceeds to offend them and she gets her comeuppance. This satisfies on so many levels.
- Crouch calling Percy by the name of Weatherby. This happens in book four, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Percy is so arrogant and uppity towards his family; it is quite hilarious when they realize his boss doesn’t even call him by the correct name. Ha! Serves you right Percy for being so pompous and condescending.
- “It’s bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History.” Oh Hermione, I love you. Your know-it-all attitude and your matter-of-fact ways are delightful. This is perfect in the book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, and Emma Watson nails this scene in the movie.
- Any scene with Luna Lovegood. Luna enters the series in book five, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and she’s a wonderful breath of fresh air. She doesn’t care what anyone thinks; she’s content to be herself and stays true to her opinions and friends. She’s honest and blunt, and she’s the perfect foil to Hermione. I love every scene she is in; she is one of those characters who just makes you smile.
- Dobby wearing all of Hermione’s knitted hats. From Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Hermione knits hats for the house elves, trying to free them. And Dobby scoops up all of the hats and wears them all. At once. Oh Dobby, you are too cute.
- Crookshanks vs Scabbers from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Go Crookshanks! Get em!!!
- Hermione and Ron k-i-s-s-i-n-g in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. There isn’t a lot to smile about in this book, but this scene puts a big ol’ grin on my face every time. Even funnier is that Hermione makes the first move, and too cute that Ron lifts her up as he kisses her. Adorable.
- “Give her hell from us, Peeves.” This is one of my absolute favorite scenes of the entire series and it’s from book five, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The scene where Fred and George fly away on their brooms after wreaking havoc in the Great Hall. Best. Exit. Ever. Every time I read this scene I feel like doing a fist bump in the air and shouting hooray! I’m immediately transported to Hogwarts and that moment of triumph for the students. I love it.
So there you have it! Ten Harry Potter scenes that make me smile. There are many more, and of course, there are many parts of the series that make me cry.
What are your favorite Harry Potter scenes that make you smile?